Categories
Ace Daily News

(BRUSSELS) #Coronavirus Report: All 27 E.U. member states and the U.K. have temporarily suspended travel to southern Africa following the discovery of a new #COVID19 variant #AceHealthDesk report

Advertisements

#AceHealthReport – Nov.28: The World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday classified the B.1.1.529 variant, now designated as Omicron, as a SARS-CoV-2 “variant of concern”, saying it may spread more quickly than other forms.

#CoronavirusNewsDesk and the #Omicron (OMEGA) #COVID19 variant outbreak sees Europe shutting borders to African nations AND U.K. add four more red list countries to the the ones GOVUK report we published here the other day….as other countries such as USA and others prepare to close borders …..

Twenty-two COVID cases in South Africa have been linked to the “concerning” new variant.

Infections in South Africa had risen steeply in recent weeks, coinciding with the detection of the variant.

After a closed meeting of independent experts who reviewed the data, WHO realised a statement saying there had been a “detrimental change in COVID-19 epidemiology”.

The travel restrictions are to apply to the nations of South Africa, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe.

The border measures follow a confirmed case of the new variant being in Belgium.

Virologist Marc Van Ranst, whose laboratory works closely with Belgium’s public health body Sciensano, said on Twitter that the variant was found in a traveller returning to Belgium from Egypt on November 11.

Italy’s health ministry earlier announced that the measures would apply to anyone who has been to the seven southern African nations in the past 14 days.

Germany said a flight ban could be imposed as early as Friday night, local time.

In Amsterdam, several hundred passengers arriving on two flights from South Africa on Friday already faced hours of delays and testing due to concerns over the new variant.

“This variant has a large number of mutations, some of which are concerning. Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, as compared to other [variants of concern],” the WHO said.

“This variant has been detected at faster rates than previous surges in infection, suggesting that this variant may have a growth advantage.”

Omicron is the fifth variant to carry such a designation: This is what we knowAfter a new COVID-19 variant emerged in southern Africa, scientists, health officials and the public are concerned, and the World Health Organization is monitoring the situation closely.

Current PCR tests continue to successfully detect the variant, WHO said.

South African Health Minister Joe Phaahla called the travel restrictions “unjustified”, telling a media briefing that travel bans contravened the norms and standards of the World Health Organization (WHO).

He specifically lashed out at Britain, saying it had imposed travel restrictions on his country without prior discussion.

The UK has temporarily banned incoming flights from South Africa and five neighbouring countries. (Reuters: Andrew Boyers)

Away from Europe, Israel also imposed a travel ban covering most of Africa.

“We are currently on the verge of a state of emergency,” Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said.

Under the broader restrictions, all African nations, except those in North Africa, were added to Israel’s “red list” of high-risk countries.

Morocco has also banned travel from seven southern African countries.

Asian nations follow suit

Japan, Hong Kong and the Philippines also all imposed new travel restrictions.

The Philippines announced flights from South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Eswatini, and Mozambique are banned until December 15.

The new variant was first detected in South Africa.(Reuters: Siphiwe Sibeko )

Hong Kong’s government said it will ban non-Hong Kong residents arriving from eight southern African states from entering the territory if they had stayed in those countries within the past 21 days: A new COVID-19 variant has been detected in South Africa.

The measure, effective from Saturday, affects people arriving from Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe.

“Along with South Africa which is already a specified high-risk place, non-Hong Kong residents who have stayed in these places within 21 days will not be allowed to enter the city”, it said.

Despite the bans the WHO cautioned countries from doing so too quickly. 

“At this point, implementing travel measures is being cautioned against,” WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier said.

“The WHO recommends that countries continue to apply a risk-based and scientific approach when implementing travel measures.”

A senior South African health official said he had been told on Friday that the WHO would designate the new strain a variant “of concern”.

“We are busy trying to get some information behind the scenes about what was discussed at the WHO meeting today,” Nicholas Crisp, acting director general in the health department, told a media briefing.

“Earlier in the day I just got a message to say that they were going to promote this variant to a variant of concern.”

US considering travel ban, says Fauci

Dr Anthony Fauci says the United States is working with their counterparts in South Africa.(AP: Kevin Dietsch)

Top US infectious disease official Dr Anthony Fauci said a ban on flights from southern Africa was a possibility and the United States was rushing to gather data on the new COVID-19 variant.

“There is always the possibility of doing what the UK has done, namely block travel from South Africa and related countries,” Dr Fauci told CNN.

“That’s certainly something you think about and get prepared to do. You’re prepared to do everything you need to protect the American public. But you want to make sure there’s a basis for doing that.”

“Obviously as soon as we find out more information we’ll make a decision as quickly as we possibly can.”

Mr Fauci said US scientists would speak with South African counterparts on Friday about the new variant but also said there was no evidence the variant had arrived in the US.

What COVID-19 travel insurance doesn’t cover you for(Emilia Terzon)

Wires/ABC

#AceHealthDesk report ………….Published: Nov.28: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

Categories
Ace Daily News

(GENEVA) #Coronavirus Report: A further 700,000 people could die of #COVID19 by March in Europe and parts of Asia, the World Health Organisation has warned #AceNewsDesk report

Advertisements
The WHO said it expected “high or extreme stress” in intensive care units in 49 countries of its Europe region in March

#CoronavirusNewsDesk says according to health news media #COVID19 Europe region faces 700,000 more deaths by March – WHO has reported: The death toll already exceeds 1.5 million in the 53 countries of what the WHO terms as its Europe region.

‘160,000 lives could be saved’ from Covid in Europe if 95% of people wear masks

Wednesday 24 Nov 2021 3:58 pm

If 95% of Europe wore a face mask thousands of lives could be saved from Covid, the WHO has claimed (Picture: AP)

Thousands of lives could be saved in Europe if the majority of people wear masks, a top World Health Organisation (WHO) official has said.

Meanwhile Globally ….

Global Confirmed259,006,084

Global Deaths5,170,446

U.S. Confirmed47,984,647

U.S. Deaths773,864

Global MapU.S. Map

DATA IN MOTIONCOVID-19 Data in Motion: Tuesday, November 23, 2021A 60-second, daily summary of the most important data on COVID-19 in the U.S., updated every morning.

The WHO warned of “high or extreme stress” in intensive care units in 49 of the nations by March 2022.

Europe is facing a surge in cases, prompting Austria to return to lockdown and others to consider fresh measures. 

A number of countries – including France, Germany and Greece – could also soon make booster jabs a requirement for their citizens to be considered fully vaccinated.

But several countries have seen fierce protests against new measures. The Netherlands saw several nights of rioting over a partial lockdown. 

In its assessment, the WHO warned Covid was the top cause of death in its Europe region. 

“Cumulative reported deaths are projected to reach over 2.2 million by spring next year, based on current trends,” the WHO said on Tuesday. 

Confirmed Covid-related deaths recently doubled to almost 4,200 a day, it added. 

In Russia alone, the daily death toll has been recently topping 1,200.

A high number of unvaccinated people and the prevalence of the Delta variant in some countries were key factors behind high transmission rates in the Europe region, the WHO said.

The WHO Europe director, Dr Hans Kluge, urged those who were still unvaccinated to get the jab. 

“All of us have the opportunity and responsibility to help avert unnecessary tragedy and loss of life, and limit further disruption to society and businesses over this winter season,” he said.

As well as European nations, the WHO also considers Israel and ex-Soviet states like Tajikistan and Uzbekistan as making up the region. 

Unlike the UK – and England in particular – many parts of Europe kept major restrictions in place for much longer.

Whereas England fully unlocked in mid-July, parts of Europe did not do this until the autumn, and in many places kept tougher restrictions in place even as they did.

Part of this was to do with timing. The UK was hit by the more infectious Alpha variant and then Delta sooner, meaning it was in a position to push ahead with unlocking before others.

But it was also a conscious choice backed by the government’s top scientists, Prof Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance.

The logic – along with the benefit of ending restrictions that themselves cause harm to health – was that it was better to have the rebound in infection, the so-called exit wave, in the summer.

It was felt the increase in the spread of the virus would be mitigated by the better weather, meaning more time spent outdoors, and would avoid the winter crunch when pressure on the health system increases across the board.

Read more: Can UK avoid a Europe-style return to lockdown?

#AceHealthDesk report ………….Published: Nov.25: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

Categories
Ace Daily News

(SILICON VALLEY) META REPORT: Here we go again Facebook, Messenger & Instagram face another ‘OUTRAGE’ across Australia & Europe today Thursday according to statement #AceNewsDesk report

Advertisements

#AceNewsReport – Nov.06: The outage appears to be affecting users around the world, including in Australia, across Europe and Central America: We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing Messenger, Workplace Chat and Instagram DMs,” Meta said to The Independent in a statement on Thursday.

#AceSocialDesk says according to Australia 7News Report: META’s Users across the world are reporting the newly-named Meta’s services including Facebook, Messenger and Instagram – are down and facing major outages.

Credit: Sam Aitken/7NEWS.com.au
Reports of outages spiked on popular site status website DownDetectorfrom 6am (AEDT) on Thursday.

Gus Bruno: Published: 03/11/2021:

“We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible and we apologize for any inconvenience.”A number of users across Australia reported issues with Facebook, Messenger and Instagram on Thursday. Credit: DownDetector

Most users reported issues with accessing Facebook and Instagram through the mobile apps, with others suggesting the outage is not affecting the online versions of the website.

Messenger services appear to be offline for thousands trying to access via the mobile app and the website.

Users reported issues with sending direct messages across the various platforms, which see up to 100 billion messages sent on any given day.

“Everything is working fine on Instagram and Facebook except their messaging services,” one user wrote.

Many others said they were unable to post on either app.

Both Instagram and Messenger share the same underlying infrastructure, meaning it’s more likely outages occur across both platforms at the same time.

Facebook, Messenger and Instagram down… AGAIN

The tech giant apologised in October for two major outages within the same week.

In the first, routine maintenance on Meta’s network stitching together its data centres caused a collapse of its global system for more than six hours.

The outage was the largest that Downdetector said it had ever seen.

It blocked access to apps for billions of users of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.Users across the world are reporting the newly-named Meta’s services including Facebook, Messenger and Instagram – are down and facing major outages. Credit: EPA

During the second outage, some users were unable to load their Instagram feeds, while others were not able to send messages on Facebook Messenger.

People swiftly took to Twitter to share memes and jokes about the second service disruption in a matter of days.

“Looks like Facebook went to a 3-day work week. Monday and Friday shutdowns?” a Twitter user said

Instagram thanked users for their patience and “for all the memes this week”.

The social media giant blamed a “faulty configuration change” for a nearly six-hour outage that prevented the company’s 3.5 billion users from accessing its social media and messaging services such as WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger.

The outage on Monday was the largest that web monitoring group Downdetector had ever seen and blocked access to the apps for billions of users, leading to a surge in usage of rival social media and messaging apps.

– with AAP

#AceNewsDesk report ………..Published: Nov.06: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com