IMPROVISED STOCKINGS. NYLON SHORTAGE… WORLD WAR 2
▪️Nylon was invented by DuPont in 1938 and nylon stockings hit the market shortly after. They sold for about the same price as silk, but unlike silk stockings, they were shrink-proof and moth-proof, which made them an immediate success.
▪️With the outbreak of WW2, the availability of Nylon for stockings dwindled due to the fact that it was produced from chemicals vital to the war effort. And, with Japan being the world’s major supplier of Silk (which was also needed by the military) suddenly stockings – other than cotton or rayon – were almost impossible to get.
▪️But, where there’s a will there’s a way. With a little foundation on smooth legs and a seam created with an eyebrow pencil, a lady could at least give the ’impression‘ she was wearing nylon stockings.
This Photo is from Wiki, another shot below.
- Silly Racist Prick ~ 🥇Interesting that thought. I sat here mulling over these thoughts, sounds straight forward until if go over our family pedigree (?) . As I added to my family name ancestry oh my goodness me ..First I'm just a mongrel breed crossed with white, black, man made religious groups , at least now I know for … Read More
- Only in AUSTRALIAN POLITICS ~ JOURNALISTS"You cannot hope to bribe or twist, thank God! the British journalist. But seeing what the man will do unbribed, there's no occasion to." — Humbert Wolfe (1886 – 1940) Federal police raid journalists' offices & homes. Whistleblowers fiercely prosecuted. Encryption laws, face-recognition technology, widespread plans to spy on citizens. You'd think a third-generation Australian … Read More
- Faces In The Street – Henry LawsonThey lie, the men who tell us for reasons of their own That want is here a stranger, and that misery's unknown; For where the nearest suburb and the city proper meet My window-sill is level with the faces in the street Drifting past, drifting past, To the beat of weary feet While I sorrow … Read More
- Cyber Breach Latest news Break Australia
- CHRISTMAS AT BURLEIGH. (Gold Coast) QLD. 1932 ~ Australia 😁CHRISTMAS AT BURLEIGH. (Gold Coast) QLD. 1932 ⛱ Tents have been pitched – and cars parked alongside – on the Esplanade and on the beach at Burleigh Heads for the Christmas break… 1932. ⛱ The headland and (now) National Park in plain view beyond. (State Library of Qld)