Twiddledee!* and Twiddledum!* were-twins, so I am told!*
Twins are pretty in-ter-esting! Some-are-meek; some, bold!
Some, you can NOT tell a-apart; some, are-pret-ty dif-fer-Ent,
But-they-all-have-this “magic-connection!” Consider-an-Ex-per-i-m-Ent:
Or-rather A CASE STUDY, ** done some years ago!
I read about-it – in-a-Science-Book! A SCI-ENCE BOOK, you-know!
There-was for-instance, ONE-SET-OF-TWINS, separated-at-birth,
One-kid went to Argentina! The-other – landed in Perth!***
They NEVER met – for 40 years!
And, when-they-did, there-were lots-of-tears!
But (GET THIS!) Turns-out! They-were-BOTH-named-Bobby!****
And they BOTH enjoyed TENNIS, as their favorite hobby!
They both married a DON, and-had-a-cocker***** named BO!!
Both had broken their LEFT TOE!!
And – both had-become Orthodox Jews!
And – both had the favorite color: Chartreuse!******
THE THING IS: NO CONTACT! All that time!
Such co-incidence – is BEYOND this rhyme!
FREE WILL, folks? Well, listen here:
Perhaps there’s some – BUT! Not-a-lot, I fear!
But, NOT-TO-FEAR – even-IF-we’re-mostly-“PROGRA(h)MS!”
That’s OK! Please-re-sist aw-ful tant – ru[a]ms!
JUST ACCEPT, that PERHAPS – It’s-all-FINE,
And – That’s-just-how-it-is! (pause)
YOU’VE A L W A Y S BEEN – MINE!
* – Twin characters – in Lewis Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland!”
** – Decades ago, a study was conducted to find twins, separated at birth, and – THEN! bring them together! The results . . . were INTERESTING, to say the least!
*** – Perth, The Capital of Western Australia!
**** – Actually, ROBERT(O), Bebe! & Babby, with, of course, different last names!
***** – Cocker spaniels: dogs with big, dreamy eyes – and impish personalities!
****** – a color between green and yellow!
- FOUNDING OF THE ASHRAM ~ GandhiThe pilgrimage to the Kumbha fair was my second visit to Hardvar. The Satyagraha Ashram was founded on the 25th of May, 1915. Sharddhanandji wanted me to settle in Hardvar. Some of my Calcutta friends recommended Vaidyanathadham. Others strongly urged me to choose Rajkot. But when I happened to pass through Ahmedabad, many friends pressed […]
- ON THE ANVIL ~ GandhiThe Ashram had been in existence only a few months when we were put to a test such as I had scarcely expected. I received a letter from Amritlal Thakkar to this effect: ‘A humble and honest untouchable family is desirous of joining your Ashram. Will you accept them?’ I was perturbed. I had never […]
- ABOLITION OF INDENTURED EMIGRATION ~ GandhiWe shall, for a moment, take leave of the Ashram, which in the very beginning had to weather internal and external storms, and briefly advert to a matter that engaged my attention. Indentured labourers were those who had emigrated from India to labour under an indenture for five years or less. Under the Smuts-Gandhi settlement […]
- Thought of the moment by Kindness ~If you don’t read the newspaper, you’re uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you’re mis-informed.
- God needs you to understand ~