Categories
Ace Daily News

(AUSTRALIA) ACCC REPORT: A popular plastic toy that can block a child’s intestines remains on sale despite repeated warnings from the national regulator and health authorities #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – May.19: Water beads are brightly coloured balls that expand when soaked in water: The polymer spheres, some as small as a grain of sand, expand to more than 100 times their original size when wet:

Water beads can cause fatal blockages if ingested, but popular kids’ toy still for sale: Warnings and recalls: As far back as 2015, the ACCC warned that while the products were marketed to children above the age of five, their bright colours were attractive to younger children.

updated 12h ago

An CT scan of a belly, with arrow pointing at dark circle.
The arrow indicates a bowel obstruction in a six-month-old Pakistani child who died in 2012 after ingesting a gel ball.(Supplied: Bilal Mirza)

The danger of the tiny balls – which are often sold in packets of thousands – has been repeatedly raised by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

Innumerable colourful, marble-like balls that appear to be made of a gel of some kind.
Poison experts and the national regulator have warned that water beads are particularly dangerous for very young children.(Wikimedia Commons: Tony Hisgetti)

“Once ingested, they can expand inside a child’s body and cause intestinal obstruction, vomiting, severe discomfort, and dehydration, and may need to be surgically removed,” the watchdog wrote six years ago.

“They also pose a choking hazard — if this happens, please call triple zero and seek urgent medical attention.”

The ACCC released two voluntary recalls for two specific water bead products in late 2018 and early 2019, but the products remain for sale.

The New South Wales Poisons Centre released its own data in 2016, published in the Medical Journal of Australia, that listed 129 reports of children swallowing water beads in the preceding 12 years.

“Ten children had symptoms suggesting possible obstruction [vomiting, abdominal pain, constipation] that developed between six hours and five days after ingestion,” it said.

The Queensland Poisons Information Centre recorded 71 calls of children ingesting the balls since 2018.

An ACCC recall warning of the dangers associated with water beads.
The ACCC has issued two voluntary recalls of water beads.(Supplied: Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)

Potentially ‘fatal outcome’

NSW Poisons Information Centre senior specialist Genevieve Adamo said while up-to-date data was not available from NSW Health, approximately one in five children would go into hospital for care once their parents raised the alarm.

She said larger varieties of water beads, which could expand to 6 centimetres in size, were the most dangerous.

“The concern is a blockage and damage to the system, and if that’s not addressed promptly there are potentially fatal outcomes that have been seen overseas,” Ms Adamo said.

“It takes many hours for them to expand and they pass through the system as they’re expanding, and will expand often in the small bowel, which can cause a blockage.”

If that happened, the child would require life-saving emergency surgery.

A six-month-old boy in Pakistan swallowed a brightly coloured “gel ball” in 2012, which caused a bowel obstruction.

He then suffered a “burst abdomen” after surgical removal, developed septicemia and died two days after a second operation.

An online shopping page showing 100,000 water beads for sale.
Online marketplaces are selling packets containing more than 100,000 water beads.(Supplied)

Retailers say beads safe for some

An ACCC spokesperson said it was up to suppliers or consumers to report unsafe products.

While Australian sellers generally had smaller quantities on the shelves, online marketplaces were selling bags of 20,000 beads for less than $25.

The ABC approached Big W, Target and Kmart in relation to the safety of the products, but only Big W replied.

“This range of products has been tested and meets all relevant requirements of the Australian and New Zealand safety standards for toys, including those specific to expandable materials,” a spokeswoman said.

“The products also feature age-appropriate recommendations for children under five years old, which we would always encourage our customers to follow.”

Non-toxic, but still harmful

Ms Adamo urged parents not to have water beads in the house, particularly if they had children younger than five.

“I would certainly not be recommending them for use as a sensory aid, and definitely not in children with developmental issues because they are much more likely to be putting things in their mouth,” she said.

Ms Adamo said some parents were lulled into a false belief the water beads were safe because they were marketed as non-toxic.

“Non-toxic does not mean non-harmful, OK?” she said.

“People don’t understand the risks associated with them, and the potential for what can happen if they’re ingested before they’re expanded, or if it’s a large quantity that is ingested.”

The ACCC urges consumers to follow these safety steps:

  • Stop using expanding water balls as toys or playthings immediately.
  • Keep expanding water balls out of reach of children – make sure these products are well out of sight and out of reach of children.
  • Keep any items, including decorative pieces like vases that contain expanding water balls well out of reach of children.
  • If consumers suspect their child has swallowed these water balls, they should seek medical attention immediately.

More information on product safety issues is available at www.productsafety.gov.au@ACCCProdSafety on Twitter and the ACCC Product Safety Facebook page.

ACCC Infocentre: 

Use this form to make a general enquiry.

#AceNewsDesk report ………..Published: May.19: 2021:

Editor says #AceNewsDesk reports by https://t.me/acenewsdaily and all our posts, also links can be found at here for Twitter and Live Feeds https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/ and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

By ace101

Ace Worldwide News Group working with Kindness & Wisdom in perfect harmony to provide help and guidance through news & views and the truth to people in need Amen

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.