Categories
KINDNESS

(BRISBANE) Magistrates Court Report: A man has been denied bail after appearing over his alleged involvement in running a terrorist network that facilitated the travel of a number of Australian foreign terrorist fighters to Syria between 2012 and 2013 #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – Mar.26: He and his co-accused, Ahmed Talib, 31, from Melbourne, are alleged to have funded Queensland man Ahmed Succarieh’s 2013 trip to Syria:

Two men charged following counter terrorism operation in Brisbane & Melbourne denied bail, Melbourne man to be extradited to Queensland: ‘Gabriel Crazzi, 34, from Chambers Flat, south of Brisbane, is facing seven charges including making “incursions into foreign states with the intention of engaging in hostile activities” and preparations for the incursions’ his co-accused Ahmed Succarieh became Australia’s first suicide bomber after he drove a truck loaded with explosives into a military checkpoint in Syria.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) said the men played senior roles in a south-east Queensland-based syndicate that maintained religiously motivated violent extremist ideology and a desire to travel to Syria to engage in hostile activities.

Editor’s Note: Vision of the joint investigation is available via Hightail

updated 3h ago:

Play Video. Duration: 8 seconds
Two men from Melbourne and Brisbane have been charged for their alleged involvement in running a sophisticated terrorist network.(Supplied: Australian Federal Police)

Mr Talib appeared in the Melbourne Magistrate’s Court yesterday and will be extradited to Queensland.

Officers expect him to arrive in Brisbane early next week. 

Police walk with a man in handcuffs
Two men have been charged for their alleged involvement in running a terrorist network that facilitated the travel of a number of Australian foreign terrorist fighters to Syria between 2012 and 2013.(Supplied: Australian Federal Police)

Police ‘found nothing’, lawyer says

In a bail application, Mr Crazzi’s defence barrister Sam Di Carlo told the court police had not provided him with the witness statement that would determine the strength of the Crown case.

“It involves his being in Australia for a number of years since then, and having effectively no criminal history whatsoever,” Mr Di Carlo told the court.

“He’s been interviewed on many occasions previously, but the Crown now rely on a statement from a co-accused or a person who was extradited from Syria or from Turkey to Australia and charged with terrorism as I understand — that’s the strength of their Crown case,” Mr Di Carlo said.

Mr Di Carlo told the court his client had been married for 12 years and has three children and did not pose a flight risk.

“[Mr Crazzi] has been spoken to on at least five occasions by ASIO between 2012 and 2015,” he said.

“On every occasion, he attended of his own free will — there was no requirement to force him to attend.

“It’s hardly surprising the police and other people have been following him for some considerable amount of time — they found nothing.

“He doesn’t go out — he doesn’t even attend mosques, except for one day a week for 20 minutes for prayers on a Friday.”

Alleged possession of ‘cipher phone’

In objecting to bail, Clare O’Connor, on behalf of the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, told the court the alleged offences were “objectively serious offences”.

“Charge two actually involves him going over and using a firearm to deploy against government forces himself, so he involved himself in both the hostile activities against the armed forces of a foreign state,” Ms O’Connor told the court.

She said he also assisted in the supply of a weapon to a person who “did in fact use that weapon to engage in hostile activities in Syria”.

“There is a risk to the safety and welfare of the Australian community where the defendant resides, in the sense of the alleged offending is itself a demonstration of his commitment to radical Islamic ideology,” she told the hearing.

Ms O’Connor said when arrested, Mr Crazzi was in possession of “an encrypted device, which is a cipher phone”.

“The defendant was intercepted having gotten out of the vehicle he was driving and the phone was recovered from inside that vehicle and was in fact being charged,” she said.

“Police are in the process of accessing that phone.”

Ms O’Connor also said police located $80,000 cash during a search of the man’s home yesterday.

The court also heard that in 2018 he was shot and Ms O’Connor said “[Mr Crazzi] refused to provide police with the identity or the circumstances of that occurring”.

‘Unacceptable risk’

Magistrate Barry Barratt refused bail on the basis he failed to establish “exceptional circumstances to justify a grant of bail”.

“I’m satisfied there is an unacceptable risk that if the defendant is granted bail on any conditions, he would fail to surrender into custody and could endanger the safety or welfare of persons who are deemed to be victims of the offence, the public generally, or interfere with witnesses,” Mr Barratt said.

Mr Crazzi was remanded in custody until June 25 when he would appear via video link for a committal mention.

Speaking outside court, Mr Di Carlo said his client would apply for Supreme Court bail.

“He wants to get home to his family and lead a peaceful life,” Mr Di Carlo said.

“Obviously it’s a bit of a shock and he’s very saddened by the fact he has a father who is very ill.”

Mr Di Carlo also attacked the strength of the Crown case.

“It substantially relies on one witness who was extradited to Australia — that person has an interest in their own welfare,” he said.

“[Gabriel Crazzi’s] been here for six or seven years without any problems whatsoever.”

At a press conference on Friday, Commander Stephen Dametto, Counter Terrorism and Special Investigations Command for the AFP, said the maximum penalty for these offences was 20 years in imprisonment.

More arrests possible

During the arrests, officers also seized a number of items.

“We seized $80,000 in cash [in Queensland] a number of gemstones of high-value [in Victoria and] also various electronic devices that we will examine over the next period,” Commissioner Dametto said.

“I want to make clear that us and our partners take all extremist groups seriously.

“We target the criminality — regardless of the background — of the perpetrators.

“[We] will stop we target criminals and criminal activity — we do not target ideology or the background of individuals.

“Hopefully what this action also shows is that we are continuing to discourage Australians from going overseas to fight in overseas conflicts.”

The investigation is still ongoing but the AFP said it believed there could be up to seven people involved in the network.

“I should also stress that we cannot rule out there won’t be further arrests down the track,” Commander Darnetto said.

The national terrorism threat level remains at probable.

AFP/ABC/

#AceNewsDesk report ………..Published: Mar.26: 2021:

Editor says #AceNewsDesk reports by https://t.me/acenewsdaily and all our posts, also links can be found at here for Twitter and Live Feeds https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/ and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

By ace101

Ace Worldwide News Group working with Kindness & Wisdom in perfect harmony to provide help and guidance through news & views and the truth to people in need Amen

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.