Categories
Ace Daily News

(AUSTRALIA) Sydney Court Report: An alleged sex “cult” leader has been hit with 18 new charges, and his lawyer is concerned about delays in the case, has heard #AceNewsDesk report

#AceNewsReport – Nov.26: James-Robert Davis was arrested in March and initially faced three charges related to alleged slavery and sexual servitude, accused of manipulating a woman in the Sydney suburb of Maroubra over several years to 2015.

#AceDailyNews Court Report: Says says according to ABC News an alleged sex ‘cult’ leader James-Robert Davis faces 18 new charges, court hears

A man wearing a cap
James-Robert Davis was arrested by Australian Federal Police officers in March 2020.(Supplied)

But those charges against the 41-year-old former ADF soldier were withdrawn in September and alternate charges were laid.

At the time of his arrest, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) issued a statement saying the alleged victim had been manipulated for a “so-called cult”.

Mr Davis faces more than 20 other charges, including sexual intercourse without consent, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, torturing an animal and detaining a person.

He’s also been charged with offences related to the alleged possession of unauthorised firearms and ammunition.

Central Local Court on Thursday heard 18 additional charges were laid on Monday, although the court did not hear what those were.

The ABC understands Mr Davis now faces a total of 58 charges.

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) requested an extension of time to file a charge certificate, a document to confirm which charges will proceed.

A bald man wearing a black T-shirt
Police have charged Davis with offences including sexual intercourse without consent, torturing an animal and detaining a person.(Supplied)

Mr Davis’s lawyer, Abigail Bannister, said she was “concerned” about the extension because the required six-month period for the certificate to be issued had “long passed”. 

Ms Bannister said that meant the magistrate needed to be satisfied an extension was in the interests of justice, a factor she said wasn’t addressed in the DPP’s material filed to justify the move.

“We’re not hearing about the complexity of the matter, what we’re hearing about is a delay in bringing charges,” she said.

There was also a delay in analysing electronic devices and transcribing interviews which took place “months ago”, Ms Bannister added.

“It seems to be more of a resource issue than a complexity issue.”

A court has previously heard the case was “very defendable” and Mr Davis was living with multiple partners in “a consensual polyamorous relationship” which “may include BDSM”.

Mr Davis, who is also an ex-prison guard, referred to himself as the patriarch of a group known as the “House of Cadifor”, according to investigators.

In arguing for the extension, DPP solicitor Laura Goodwin revealed there were six complainants in the matter and some of their recorded statements were “of considerable length”.

One interview lasted more than 11 hours and took place over three days in August, the court heard.

Ms Goodwin highlighted the seriousness of the offences, some of which carry a maximum penalty of 14 years in prison, along with the “voluminous” brief of evidence compiled.

“Crucial parts are very detailed and give rise to a number of complexities,” she said.

The state DPP had also only been involved in the matter for five weeks, the court heard.

Magistrate Robert Williams granted an extension for the certificate to be filed until December 21.

He took into consideration that legislation setting down time limits is designed to provide “certainty” to defendants.

However, Magistrate Williams also said it was clear interviews with six complainants had led to the delay.

“I do note the charges before the court are serious matters,” he said.

According to court documents, Mr Davis’s weapons charges relate to his alleged possession of items including three smoke grenades, a signal flare, an automatic rifle and an unknown Chinese brand .22 air rifle, along with ammunition. 

Assault occasioning actual bodily harm offences are alleged to have taken place as far back as August 2001.

Amongst the dozens of charges are also child pornography and kidnapping offences, along with several counts of using a carriage service to prepare or plan to engage in sexual activity with a person under 16.

Mr Davis did not appear in court and did not apply for bail.

#AceNewsDesk report ……….Published: Nov.26: 2021:

Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

By ace101

Ace Worldwide News Group working with Kindness & Wisdom in perfect harmony to provide help and guidance through news & views and the truth to people in need Amen

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.