#AceNewsReport – Aug.27: Australians are being warned not to go near Kabul’s international airport if they are not already inside, as the threat of Taliban violence against those trying to enter worsens.
#AceDailyNews says that the blast was outside The Baron Hotel, at the Abbey Gate of Kabul airport. Westerners were staying in the hotel before their evacuation flights. At least three US troops were injured. It’s unclear if any Americans were killed in the explosion but harrowing scenes show bloodied Afghans being removed from the scene on wheelchairs: Ace News Services reported here:
Breaking News: An explosion outside the Kabul airport has left an unconfirmed number of casualties, the Pentagon said, hours after warnings of a security threat. The explosion was at a main entryway where large crowds have been gathering in recent days. https://t.co/3gfhJCvLnM— The New York Times (@nytimes) August 26, 2021
One witness reported that a baby was among those killed. The attack came just hours after…after Australians warned to keep away from Kabul airport due to ‘very high’ risk of terror attack
Another 1,200 people were evacuated on six Australian flights and one New Zealand flight overnight, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.
BREAKING: The Pentagon says there was an explosion outside Kabul airport. Spokesman John Kirby said there was no immediate word on casualties in the blast. Thousands of Afghans have been gathered at the airport for days trying to flee the country. https://t.co/7mZ8b2DlO0— The Associated Press (@AP) August 26, 2021
Mr Morrison said more than 4,000 people had been flown out by Australian and New Zealand forces since the evacuation mission began, three times what had been anticipated.
“There are 4,000 people that can testify to the actions of the government … a result that, compared to where we were last week, has so far exceeded our expectations about what we hope we might be able to achieve,” he said.
But the dangerous mission to get people out of Kabul is becoming more difficult.
Early this morning the Department of Foreign Affairs updated its advice on Smartraveller, warning people not to head to Hamid Karzai airport, and telling those nearby to keep away.
“If you’re in the area of the airport, move to a safe location and await further advice,” the advice said.
“There’s an ongoing and very high threat of terrorist attack.”
Australians who tried to enter the airport before the warning was issued said it was nearly impossible to get inside, and they were forced to turn back as the Taliban beat people and tear-gassed crowds.
Foreign Minister Marise Payne said the situation was deteriorating.
“I have seen [and] heard reports of the attacks on women, attacks on children, threats at checkpoints, invasions of transports, where children and families have been threatened in those transports, as they have been trying to get to the airport,” she said.
Senator Payne said the government would contact individual citizens and visa holders with specific advice on travelling to the airport as it became safe to do so.
The UK and US have also warned their citizens to stay away from airport gates.
“US citizens who are at the Abbey Gate, East Gate, or North Gate now should leave immediately,” the US embassy in Kabul said in a statement.
“Avoid airport gates at this time.”
Islamic State branch ‘targeting’ airport for attack
But the threats to people seeking to escape Kabul are not just from the Taliban.
In a televised statement, US President Joe Biden warned a local branch of the Islamic State (IS) group, known as the Islamic State in the Khorasan Province, ISIS-K, or IS-KP, was known to be planning an attack on the airport.
“Every day we’re on the ground is another day we know that ISIS-K is seeking to target the airport and attack both US and allied forces and innocent civilians,” Mr Biden said.
The US President said the threat was part of the reasoning not to extend the August 31 deadline for US and allied withdrawal of troops.
The group is an enemy of both Western forces and the Taliban.
People seeking to escape have just days before what Defence Minister Peter Dutton described as the “drop-dead” deadline set by the Taliban arrives.
The Taliban has encouraged Afghans to stay, but has said it won’t prevent those with permission to leave from catching commercial flights once they resume.
Mr Dutton said the Taliban must prove their words with action.
“The Taliban can say all that they like but what will count at the end is their actions, and the last time they exercised authority or were in power it was in a very brutal way,” Mr Dutton told radio station 2GB.
“You would expect there would be retribution.”
Last night the White House said 82,300 people had been evacuated on coalition flights since the Taliban first entered Kabul and the urgent mission to get people out began.
But US media has also reported chartered flights leaving almost empty, with the evacuees booked to take them being unable to get inside the airport.
Repatriation flights have brought more than 600 people to Australia from a Middle Eastern airbase since the operation began.
Those people are now quarantining at hotels in several states across the country.
#AceNewsDesk report ……….Published: Aug.27: 2021:
Editor says …Sterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily all of our posts fromTwitter can be found here: https://acetwitternews.wordpress.com/ and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com