England yet! by Henry Lawson
Henry LawsonShe’s England yet! The nations never knew her;
Or, if they knew, were ready to forget.
She made new worlds that paid no homage to her,
Because she called for none as for a debt.
The bullying power who deemed all nations craven,
And that her star of destiny had set,
Was sure that she would seek a coward’s haven—
And tempted her, and found her England yet!
We learn our England, and we soon forget,
To learn again that she is England yet.
They watched Britannia ever looking forward,
But could not see the things her children saw.
They watched in Southern seas her boats pull shoreward,
But only marked the eyeglass, heard the “Haw!”
In tents, and bungalows, and outpost stations,
Thin white men ruled for her, unseen, unheard,
Till millions of strange races and far nations
Were ready to obey her at a word.
We learn our England, and in peace forget,
To learn in storm that she is England yet.
She’s England yet; and men shall doubt no longer,
And mourn no longer for what she has been.
She’ll be a greater England and a stronger—
A better England than the world has seen.
Our own, who reck not of a king’s regalia,
Tinsel of crowns, and courts that fume and fret,
Are fighting for her—fighting for Australia—
And blasphemously hail her “England Yet!”
She’s England yet, with little to regret—
Ay, more than ever, she’ll be England yet!
- Oh, Is It Love? – Amy LevyO is it Love or is it Fame, This thing for which I sigh? Or has it then no earthly name For men to call it by? I know not what can ease my pains, Nor what it is I wish; The passion at my heart-strings strains Like a tiger in a leash. ~ Oh, … Read more
- ~ A PLAN THE MUSES ENTERTAINED. – Johann Wolfgang von GoetheA PLAN the Muses entertain'd Methodically to impart To Psyche the poetic art; Prosaic-pure her soul remain'd. No wondrous sounds escaped her lyre E'en in the fairest Summer night; But Amor came with glance of fire,– The lesson soon was learn'd aright. 1827.* ~ A PLAN THE MUSES ENTERTAINED. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe https://youtu.be/pBxA16At2OU
- The First Dream ~and as I lean against the door of sleep The Wind is ghosting around the house tonight I begin to think about the first person to dream, draped in the skins of animals talking to each other only in vowels, for this was long before the invention of consonants. He might have gone off by … Read more
- The pendulum of love ~“BEING EASY WITH THE PENDULUM OF LIFE!” a Sunday poem ©️ Isn’t EMPTY – just-a-state-of-mind? And-being-FULL-may-be-too! Can-we-be-neither-full-nor-empty? Really, what is true? The opposite of boring – may-be crea-ti-vi-ty! Our body-mind connection(s) – It’s all a mystery! I’ve been too-filled at times, I think -EXTREMES ARE QUITE THE THING! Observing-our-moods – as-a-pendulum – has a “classic … Read more
- Do you think it’s a sinBut she caught herself before she fell – she grabbed – some-cheese- and-a pear, And some bread with butter – and some jam with cream, “PRETTY?” SHE said, eyes so wide – and, I think, she-started-to-”stream,” Like-she-was-NOT-on-a-diet! (pause) She was jamming it all in, Her eyes, so wide – with wonder: “DO YOU THINK … Read more