He was believed by his peers to be an important poet,
But his erotic obsession, condemned and strictly forbidden,
Compromised his standing, and led to his ruin.
Over sixty, and a father many times over,
The objects of his attention grew younger and younger:
He tried to corrupt the sons of his dearest friends;
He pressed on them drinks and drugs,
And of course he was caught and publicly shamed.
Was his death a suicide? No one is sure.
But that’s not the whole story; it’s too sordid to tell.
Besides, the memory of his poems deserves better.
Though we were unable to look at them for a time
His poems survive his death.
There he appears as his finest self:
Attractive, scholarly, dedicated to love.
At last we can read him again, putting aside
The brute facts of his outer life,
And rejoice at the inner voice, so lofty and pure.
- Famous Poets ~ Pejar RunsDeep in the meadow grass Easy stand the cattle, Lightly lock the young bulls In a mimic battle, Pride gathers with each shock, Every … Read more
- Famous Poets ~ Australia Botany Bay"I'm old Botany Bay; stiff in the joints, little to say. I am he who paved the way, that you might walk at your … Read more
- Famous Poets ~ Scotland to the outback of AustraliaSons of the mountains of Scotland, Welshmen of coomb and defile, Breed of the moors of England, Children of Erin's green isle, We stand … Read more
- Famous Poet ~ The Hungry PoetI have grown past hate and bitterness, I see the world as one; But though I can no longer hate, My son is still … Read more
- Famous Poet ~ But the heart of man was a wandering thingI span and Eve spanA thread to bind the heart of man;But the heart of man was a wandering thingThat came and went with … Read more
- At a Dinner Party – Amy LevyFamous Poems ~With fruit and flowers the board is deckt, The wine and laughter flow; I'll not complain–could one expect So dull a world to know? … Read more
- Oh, Is It Love? – Amy LevyFamous Poet ~O is it Love or is it Fame, This thing for which I sigh? Or has it then no earthly name For men to … Read more
- Oh, Is It Love? – Amy LevyO is it Love or is it Fame, This thing for which I sigh? Or has it then no earthly name For men to … Read more
- ~ A PLAN THE MUSES ENTERTAINED. – Johann Wolfgang von GoetheA PLAN the Muses entertain'd Methodically to impart To Psyche the poetic art; Prosaic-pure her soul remain'd. No wondrous sounds escaped her lyre E'en … Read more
- The First Dream ~and as I lean against the door of sleep The Wind is ghosting around the house tonight I begin to think about the first … Read more
- The pendulum of love ~“BEING EASY WITH THE PENDULUM OF LIFE!” a Sunday poem ©️ Isn’t EMPTY – just-a-state-of-mind? And-being-FULL-may-be-too! Can-we-be-neither-full-nor-empty? Really, what is true? The opposite of … Read more
- Do you think it’s a sinBut she caught herself before she fell – she grabbed – some-cheese- and-a pear, And some bread with butter – and some jam … Read more
- Watch “Nelson Mandela’s Favorite Poem ‘Invictus’ Read by Morgan Freeman”https://youtu.be/SAa6qdBN7Z0 https://youtu.be/PyfOrbO0xf4