Vladimir Horowitz, a Jewish pianist, married Wanda Toscanini, a Catholic and the daughter of Arturo; they had Sonia! NOW! for quotes attributed to Mr. Horowitz:
· I am famous, but I am not well known.
· Perfection itself is imperfection.
· It’s better to make your own mistakes than to copy someone else’s.
· My future is in my past and my past is in my present. I must now make the present my future.
· When I am on the stage, I’m a king. No one can interfere with me because I have something to do, and it has to be the best which is within me.
· I’m a general. My soldiers are the keys, and I have to command them.
· My face is my passport.
· The piano is an orchestra with 88 … things, you know.
· There are only three kinds of pianists; Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists.*
· If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, my wife knows it. If I don’t practice for three days, the world knows it.
Now, please enjoy Chopin’s A-flat Major Polonaise. Bravo!**
* – There is some evidence for Maestro Horowitz being, at least, bisexual! Back THEN, I do not think folks differentiated between homosexual and bisexual. Times change; however, great performances of Chopin’s piano music sometimes continue to be recognized as “GREAT!” 🙂
** – Maestro Horowitz was in his mid-80’s for this performance; he passed on two years later.