Mmmmmm. Who’s a parmigiana fan? This Eggplant Parmigiana is a warm and satisfying meal for when the temperature drops. What’s your secret to the perfect parma?
1. Béchamel sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add flour saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Return pan to medium heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 8 minutes or until sauce comes to the boil. Remove from heat. Add cheese. Stir until melted. Cover surface with plastic wrap.
2. Combine flour and SAXA Pink Himalayan Salt Flakes and SAXA Four Seasons Pepper Grinder on a large plate. Lightly whisk eggs and 2 tablespoons cold water in a separate shallow dish. Place breadcrumbs in another shallow dish.
3. Lightly coat each slice of eggplant in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, pressing crumbs on with your fingertips to secure.
4. Pour oil into a large saucepan until one-third full. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a baking tray.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 6cm deep, 18cm x 24cm (base) ovenproof dish. Line base with eggplant slices, overlapping slightly. Spoon over 1/2 cup pasta sauce. Repeat eggplant and pasta sauce layers 2 more times.
6. Top with Béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden. Stand for 5 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour